[ome-users] restarting ome server(s) - mac os x

Bob Marinelli bobm at stanford.edu
Wed May 25 22:55:15 BST 2005

Dear OME developers,

Very nice system, would appreciate a bit of installation help.

Installation script finished OK, was able to log in as an OME user
OK, created a project, create a dataset, browsed to a local image
directory, selected a few hundred tiff images to import, the import
started up fine, and it was possible to watch progress. After a
while progress stopped (at say 274 orf 491 tasks). I had been watching
with top (regular unix top, not ome top) and it looks like some part(s)
of the image store and/or image server went poof.

The Home->Options->Tasks is stuck at Last Step 274, N steps 491,
and the Clear Selected option hangs. In fact, everything i.e. command
line "ome top" hangs too. It feels as though some critical ome server
process died & I've looked through the documentation but can't find
the instructions on how to restart the server(s).

It certainly looks like it wants to work :) please give me some hints as
to restarting things. I did find 274 or so files in Files so everything did
look good up until it stopped.

Question 1: where can we find the OME logs, especially a log showing
what the image import unhappy about? The tiff files are all pretty much
the same size etc.

Question 2: what server(s) should be running, and how are they
manually restarted?

Question 3: how to clear the Tasks list? Or will restarting server(s)
cause the task list to restart?

This is all on Apple G5 with OS X 10.4.1 (Tiger). I followed the
Panther instructions, but installed a few problematic Perl modules
manually. The script did make it all the way through with few if any
warnings. Postgres came up just fine, as did the Apache installation,
and OME's login came up OK.

Apache & OME & postgres are all on the same host.

Thanks very much,

Bob