[ome-users] STD.xsd - is this a bug?

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Mon Jul 25 15:56:18 BST 2005

On Jul 22, 2005, at 10:32 AM, Graham Klyne wrote:

> I'm looking at the following fragments in STD.xsd, and can't make
> sense of them:
>
> [[
>                 <unique name = "SemanticElement">
>                         <selector xpath = "STD:SemanticElement"/>
>                         <field xpath = "@Name"/>
>                 </unique>
> ]]
>
> [[
>                 <keyref name = "FieldIDref" refer = "STD:FieldID">
>                         <selector xpath = ".//STD:SemanticElement"/>
>                         <field xpath = "@FieldID"/>
>                 </keyref>
> ]]

These XPaths are probably bugs and shouldn't be in there.  Can you do
us a favor and register a bug in bugzilla for this:
http://bugs.openmicroscopy.org.uk/

The idea is that element names within a type should be unique, and that
semantic type names within a DB instance should also be unique.  I'm
definitely not adept enough in XPath to enforce this, and this is
probably a vestige of my weak and pathetic attempts.

I would recommend looking at example STD declarations.  The entire
ome.xsd schema has counter-parts in STD documents in src/xml/OME/Core.
Additional STDs that are not part of ome.xsd are in other parts of
src/xml/OME.  These are not just examples - they're loaded during
installation and serve as the mechanism by which we build the DB
schema.
-Ilya