[ome-users] DBLocation in STD definitions

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Mon Jul 25 15:40:57 BST 2005

On Jul 22, 2005, at 10:36 AM, Graham Klyne wrote:

> I see that the definition of a STD requires a DBLoication attribute,
> which I assume is a reference to where the corresponding datum is
> stored in the relational DB schema.

This is a declaration of where in the DB you would like to store your
data - not a declaration of where the data is already stored.  In other
words, the DBLocation should be a new table/column for your data.  The
new tables and columns will be created for you when you import an STD
document.

We are looking to making this specification optional as we move to a
pure class-per-table structure.  Currently, a table can contain more
than one class, which is a needless complication.  In principle, there
can be table-spanning classes as well, though we've never actually
tried this.

> Where can I find information about the DB schema, and in particular
> pointers to where I might specify that new values be stored?

You can generate the schema yourself by executing
doc/postgresql_autodoc.pl -d ome
this will generate docbook, SVG, html, etc for the DB schema.
Or you can probe it using any of the standard DB Schema mapping tools
(Visio for example).

-Ilya