[ome-users] What did OME ever do for us?

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Wed Jul 20 06:00:17 BST 2005

On Jul 19, 2005, at 4:12 PM, Graham Klyne wrote:

> On this basis, I'm thinking that I can create category groups "Gene"
> and "Strain", with categories like "Grip128", "Rpn6", "CG10151" that
> are gene names or flybase identifiers for the gene group, and names
> like "WT", "aly", "can", "comr" for the strain group, which are used
> by researchers to identify wild type and mutant strains of drosophila
> under examination.  Does this sound consistent with the intended use?
> I assume new catagories (e.g. new gene names) can be added as needed?

Yes to all of the above.

> Is there any way to edit a category group after it has been created?
> I just created one and mis-typed the description.

Editing?  BAH!
Actually you could just delete the Annotation MEX that created the CG.
You can use the Search interface to look for MEXes.

> I guess that a category is assigned to an image by applying a custom
> annotation of type "Classification", which asks for a category to be
> selected.  Additional such annotations being added for each axis of
> categorization?  (The documentation you mentioned isn't clear about
> how one applies classification information).

The Dataset view in the web UI provides some tools for classifying
images so you don't have to treat the Classification ST in a generic
way.  You can also do this straigh-forwardly in Shoola.

-Ilya