[ome-users] Custom annotations absent in exported metadata

Graham Klyne graham.klyne at zoo.ox.ac.uk
Fri Aug 5 14:04:36 BST 2005

Ilya Goldberg wrote:

> On Aug 4, 2005, at 6:52 AM, Graham Klyne wrote:
>
>> I've been examining an exported OME/XML file (after stripping out the
>> raw binary data), and am rather surpised to see that the custom  Semantic
>> Type annotations created for our data (which show up in the online view
>> of the image information) do not appear in the exported OME/XML data.
>>
>> I had expected to see the custom semantic type data appear in the
>> <CustomAttributes> element inside the <Image> element, but I see the
>> <CustomAttributes> element is empty.
>>
>> I attach a copy of the exported OME/XML for one such image, with
>> newlines inserted before each '<', and the content of <BinData>  elements
>> stripped out.
>

> A problem with XML export is that you can literally dump the entire
> database into a single XML document.  The problem is to decide what to
> export and to expose this to the user in some logical, easy-to-use way.
>  The "solution" we came up with was to export the image objects that
> got imported during image import.  Its obviously not ideal, but it
> would always work and would be minimally useful.  Exporting everything
> associated with an image may work OK in some uses of OME, but in others
> would result in exporting way, way more than you want.
> The interface to the XML export is very easy to use (for a developer) -
> its just a list of OME objects, which can be practically anything
> (anything supported by the various XML schemas).  The big question is
> how do you build an interface to let the user specify what they want to
> export?
>
> One possibility is to (again) use templates.  A special XML Export
> template would specify the object types desired during export.  At
> least this way the list of object types would be configurable
> relatively easily.  Another option that was kicked around, but somewhat
> difficult to implement, was basically a shopping basket.  You can pick
> and choose certain objects to export as you browse around your data.
> Exposing search criteria for inclusion of objects in an XML export to
> an HTTP interface may be useful also.  Any other ideas would be most
> welcome.

Although I've been trying to avoid getting into the OME code so far,
this is an area where I feel that it would be reasonable to dig in to
get the output we want.  For our purposes, a one-off specification of
what needs to be exported would be fine (even best), and I don't think
we really need a UI to control the details.

I assume I can create a new perl module in the appropriate CGI
directory, and subsequently access the required data simply by using an
appropriately constructed URI?

The following information would help:
- is there a sample module that does something close to this?  The
current export module described in your other message sounds as if it
could be copied and adapted.
- what would I need to tweak to get a link to this external export
format placed on the image information page?  (Maybe HTML templates will
be the best answer for this?)

#g

--
Graham Klyne