[ome-devel] File import help

Sebastien Besson (Staff) s.besson at dundee.ac.uk
Mon Jun 3 17:20:30 BST 2019

Hi Brian,

On 1 Jun 2019, at 01:03, Brian Bodensteiner <brian at intelligent-imaging.com<mailto:brian at intelligent-imaging.com>> wrote:

Hi,

We’re working with some of our users to improve SlideBook file import for OMERO but could use some help.

From our side, several community users have been increasingly asking for the ability to load Slidebook data using the native 3i reader in OMERO. So we are very happy to hear that work has started on this front.

First, we tested using stock OMERO.insight 5.4.10. Importing the .SLD files results in the following error (as the default importer does not handle new data):

2019-05-31 16:53:17,563 DEBUG [ org.scijava.nativelib.NativeLibraryUtil] (entQueue-0) processor is INTEL_64 os.arch is amd64
<snip>
2019-05-31 16:53:24,604 INFO  [   ome.formats.importer.ImportCandidates] ( Thread-14) 1 file(s) parsed into 0 group(s) with 1 call(s) to setId in 387ms. (393ms total) [0 unknowns]

That’s also what I expect if the 3i Slidebook reader is not available client-side.

Next, we copied the SlideBook6Reader.jar into the lib folder. This is picked up and executed, and the metadata is read correctly. However, no pixel data is read, and I get the following exception:

2019-05-31 16:55:13,347 WARN  [     o.o.s.a.m.editor.AnnotationTaskPane] (nitializer) UI for displaying ROIS annotations not implemented yet!
<snip>
    serverExceptionClass = "ome.conditions.InternalException"
    message = " Wrapped Exception: (java.lang.AssertionError):
               File not open.”

This indicates some error happened server side probably while processing the file during the import steps although the error is somehow wrapped.
I suppose you have access to the test server? The Blitz log file should be more informative about the specific API calls that led to the exception.

I’ve tested the same jars in Fiji and they are working fine, so I am guessing there is something different going on in terms of file open/close flow. I can’t find the source of the "File not open.” error message - it is the cas that in order to read pixel data the file must be parsed and read, but I’d also presume this happens when the metadata is read.

There are a few import post-processing steps happening server-side which require file access:

- metadata access when populating the database with the new inserts
- pixel data access while reading the minimum/maximum intensities and/or creating thumbnails

I suspect one of these steps is leading to the "File not open" exception. Hopefully the server logs will provide more information.

We have some specific exceptions thrown when a file is closed and then attempted to be read, so it would help to understand where that message is coming from. We also updated the jar on the server as well, though it’s unclear if that’s required or not (is pixel data stored directly or accessed on the server).

Since OMERO 5.0, the raw image files are directly accessed on the server using Bio-Formats. As such, adding the reader as a JAR to the server folder is definitely a prerequisite.

Anyway any direction you could provide would be much appreciated. This feels like the right direction - similar to Fiji dropping the library into the Bio-Formats installation immediately moves things to the SlideBook6Reader.jar.

Agreed. Please let us know as you get more details from the logs.

Best,
Sebastien

Thanks again for your help,

Brian