[ome-devel] [ome-users] Release of OMERO 5.4.2

Damir Sudar dsudar at lbl.gov
Fri Jan 26 14:01:29 GMT 2018

Hi Josh,

That's a bummer. I already upgraded since some features of 5.4.2 (e.g.
thumbnail display of large plates in OMERO.web) are critical to me.

So it sounds I should regularly restart OMERO.web to avoid this new issue?
On a moderately used system, how often is likely adequate? Is nightly
likely enough?

Thanks,
- Damir

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 3:21 AM, Josh Moore <josh at glencoesoftware.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 12:44 PM, Helen Flynn (Staff)
> <h.flynn at dundee.ac.uk> wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > We are pleased to announce the release of OMERO 5.4.2, a bug-fix
> release...
>
> ... but less pleased that we must warn you: while upgrading our
> production servers to 5.4.2, we have identified a problem afflicting
> OMERO.web. Long-running Python processes, like OMERO.web’s gunicorn
> workers, can leak file handles. After a period of usage, OMERO.web may
> become unresponsive and need to be restarted. We have now identified
> the issue and are testing a fix [1].
>
> In the meantime, we recommend that you *do not upgrade to 5.4.2* if
> you are using OMERO.web: we will release 5.4.3 early next week.
>
> We unfortunately did not discover the issue during our testing since
> the instability only arises after extended uptime. We will review our
> testing process accordingly to avoid such problems in the future.
>
> Thanks for your understanding and please accept our apologies.
>
> The OME team
>
> [1] https://github.com/openmicroscopy/openmicroscopy/commit/
> fe9eda48f96928801dff15a13d37853a188f7288

Damir Sudar - Affiliate Staff Scientist
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
One Cyclotron Road, MS 977, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
T: 510/486-5346 - F: 510/486-5586 - E: DSudar at lbl.gov

Visiting Scientist, Oregon Health and Science University