[ome-devel] Plan for transferring data from one OMERO to another

Mark Carroll m.t.b.carroll at dundee.ac.uk
Thu Nov 2 16:04:20 GMT 2017

Dear Eilidh,

> I’ve discussed this work with my colleagues and we’re concerned about
> version compatibility. I just wanted to check that the BlitzGateway
> connection would work when there are minor version differences between
> the local and remote omero servers (e.g. 5.3.3 to 5.3.5), but not
> between major version differences(e.g. 5.3.5 to 5.4.0). How often do you
> plan to make major releases?

A good question. It varies but on average I would guess that we tend to
release breaking API changes very approximately annually. When we do, it
often does not require extensive refactoring of client software: we try
to be fairly conservative about accepting the need for changes before
actually making them as we are most mindful of the impact on our
community. Between the patch releases 5.3.3 and 5.3.5 there absolutely
should be client-server compatibility as you correctly infer.

> The JSON API sounded like a good solution, but it does’t support
> creating images yet, so I’ll need to use the BlitzGateway.

Indeed, we have high hopes for the JSON API and it has had plenty of
work lately but it still has quite a way to go.

-- Mark