[ome-devel] Advice on making OMERO data public

Josh Moore josh at glencoesoftware.com
Wed Jun 7 17:22:46 BST 2017

On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 5:22 PM, Eilidh Troup <e.troup at epcc.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Eilidh,

> I’m a software engineer supporting a biology group with their data management. They already use OMERO, and would like to make some of the images (and metadata) public. Would setting up a local copy of IDR be a good solution?

Though you're welcome to do it (and we're glad to help), it sounds
like it might be a bit overkill. You'd more likely want to use the IDR
if you were integrating your data -- linking it to various annotations
for re-use, etc.

> Would IDR need a separate OMERO to support it?

For the purposes of this discussion, IDR is OMERO (or is an OMERO). So
as below, you can either configure your current OMERO specially, or
have a second server which is just for the public data.

> What would be the best way to move the data if it needs to be transferred from one OMERO to another?

We don't (yet) support moving data from one OMERO to another, so you'd
be into re-importing the given images. This can be stream-lined
perhaps a bit, but at the end of the day, there's a duplication.
Alternatively, you can configure your server for public data in which
case rather than moving data between OMERO servers you move it between
groups within a single server.

Have you seen:

 * https://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/omero5.3/sysadmins/public.html
 * http://help.openmicroscopy.org/publish.html#public