[ome-devel] optimised viewer for time laps data

Jean-Marie Burel (Staff) j.burel at dundee.ac.uk
Mon Jan 23 17:33:16 GMT 2017

Hi Kai

The difference between the OMERO.insight and OMERO.insight-ij when viewing an image
is that when the image is opened in OMERO.insight-ij
the plane is retrieved from OMERO using the OmeroReader and rendered in ImageJ i.e.
it does not use the OMERO internal rendering engine.
OMERO.insight will usually render all the active channels i.e. several planes
will be read instead of one at a time usually in ImageJ
This could explain the speed difference you noticed

As mentioned in a recent blog post
http://blog.openmicroscopy.org/future-plans/community/2016/12/21/omero-5-3/
We are focusing our effort on improving the Web client, that also includes the viewer.
Some changes have already been made to the web architecture to allow,for example,  the installation of
dedicated viewers e.g. multivew, general view, figure etc.

We are also exploring alternative mechanism to load the planes
depending on the history navigation: this will support the "hop" use case mentioned in your e-mail.
Some of the features might be integrated, time alllowing, in the new app viewer https://github.com/ome/omero-iviewer
before its first release.

Cheers
jmarie