[ome-devel] Difficulty building windows applications with ome-files C++

Lionel Fafchamps lionel+omero at fafchamps.com
Wed Oct 26 12:45:27 BST 2016

Hi,

We are trying to build a microscopy software suite using Qt and would
like to be able to save OME-Tiff files as our default file option, since
these are easily compatible with most image manipulation suites and the
metadata is also easily accessed.

I’ve been having some trouble building working windows applications with
the OME-files C++ library (version 0.2.2).  I’m currently using VC14 on
Windows 10, and I’ve tried x64 and x86 configurations with both the
release and debug versions of the libraries.  In order to test my build
configuration, I’m building the metadata-formatwriter.cpp example.

Generally speaking, everything appears to work on the surface, but
running the executable I always get the following exception: “Invalid
OME-XML document” upon calling the close() method of the OMETiffWriter.
The resulting tiff file seems to contain all of the pixel data, but the
metadata is missing from the file.  I’ve tried building the same example
file from Linux and it appears to work correctly.

Has anyone ever spotted this problem before, and could it be there’s
something wrong with my build configuration somehow?  Are there any
examples of build configurations under windows?

Thanks for your help,
Lionel