[ome-devel] Python import API

Colin Blackburn (Staff) C.Blackburn at dundee.ac.uk
Tue Mar 1 14:28:45 GMT 2016

Hi Niko,

On 1 Mar 2016, at 14:01, Niko Ehrenfeuchter <nikolaus.ehrenfeuchter at unibas.ch<mailto:nikolaus.ehrenfeuchter at unibas.ch>> wrote:

[...]
Is this the sort of thing you are after or are you looking at getting
these IDs at some other point in your workflow?

This is kind of the thing I am after, yes. I was just wondering if it didn't make sense to have this "officially" supported / exposed via the API, instead of everyone having to write their own code to carve out the desired information from stdout/stderr - which feels quite a bit wiggly, especially as I don't necessarily consider "console output" as being an "API stable" format, right?

I have since looked at the email conversation you had with Josh back in June last year:

http://lists.openmicroscopy.org.uk/pipermail/ome-devel/2015-June/003336.html

and yes, there should be some API support for this.

Plus, the referenced code is using the "capfd" fixture for the tests, which probably isn't a good idea in a non-testing environment. Meaning again custom code which has to be written "client side" to capture the outputs, not unlikely resulting in bugs, from time to time.

Absolutely, cafd was an illustration but other ways of doing this are not ideal.

Basically, I'm wondering if there is no proper (TM) way using all the Ice'ish magic to "cleanly" retrieve this information ;-)

So at the moment the answer is no (as far as I know!) but I have created an, as yet internal, Trello card for discussion with Josh and others. I'll push that card to a public board once we have had a chance to chat. Hopefully we can then prioritise the work and come up with a solution.

Cheers,

Colin