[ome-devel] Some trouble with RGB image export and import

Alexander Görtz alex at nyloc.de
Fri Sep 18 16:21:16 BST 2015

Hi David,

> I just wanted to provide you with an update on the issue you reported.
> We have been able to confirm the issue is related to C++ version of bio
> formats and are currently investigating a fix.

Nice to hear that you found the issue. As an additional input I would like to
provide my workaround I used to test RGB images in the C++ lib.
I converted a 512x512x1x1000x3 lsm file with bfconvert -merge to a ome.tif
image. I was expecting to get a 512x512x1x1000x1x3 file with 1 channel and 3
subchannels (RGB) but in stead I got a  512x512x1x1000x3x3 file so three
channels with each three subchannels (RGB) and all three channels contain the
same RGB image. That file could be properly processed with the c++ lib, so not
problem there in general. Even tho I'm not sure if I hit another bug with
bfconvert ;).
A small bug I also encountered with bfconvert is that if I use the -range
option with i.E. bfconvert -range 4001 6000 the progress percentages are
computed wrong. It gives me something like:

bfconvert -range 4001 6000 input.czi /tmp/output.tif
[Zeiss CZI] -> /tmp/output.tif [Tagged Image File Format]
        Converted -3970/2000 planes (-198%)
        Converted -3928/2000 planes (-196%)
        Converted -3885/2000 planes (-194%)
        Converted -3842/2000 planes (-192%)