[ome-devel] OMERO.web development server

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Wed May 20 19:23:57 BST 2015

Hi everyone,

I noticed that the documentation for running OMERO.web using the built-in
lightweight Django server has been removed from the 5.1 docs.

The page:
https://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/omero5.1/sysadmins/unix/install-web.html

Lists the Django server as an option, but without any instructions on how
to use it. Same for 5.0. I had to go back to the OMERO4 docs to find the
information on how to start it:

https://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/omero4/sysadmins/unix/install-web.html#using-the-lightweight-development-server

And similarly, the omero.web.application_server option does not list
"development" as an available option in the docs:

https://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/omero5.1/sysadmins/config.html#std:property-omero.web.application_server

It seems that using this option is highly discouraged, which makes sense
for production servers. But for an OMERO developer installation (for
developing OMERO applications), this option is very handy.

Is the plan to remove support for the Django web server? Should I just go
with the flow and install nginx here?

Regards,
Curtis