[ome-devel] Super-Resolution standard format

Pedro Almada pedro.almada.13 at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Jun 25 16:15:00 BST 2015

Hello all,

Seamus Holden, involved with PALM-siever and the ISBI challenge has a few
comments to add:

A few thoughts - this is actually something that I think is quite
interesting and I would like to see done correctly! Busy of course with the
new lab, but happy to help where I can.

Nico Sturman (Micromanager) was trying to get something similar going,
https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Tagged_Spot_File_%28tsf%29_format
It seemed promising last time I checked. Link up the two efforts? I'd hate
to see two different Europe/ US standards emerge!

Also - import can be a bit of a challenge, as I learned for PALMsiever -
the BIG.EPFL approach wont work for every case since some software, eg
rapidstorm, dynamically change the number/ order of columns depending on
the input settings, and use a change in the header to reflect this. Then
you have to get a bit cleverer with parsing the file headers. An import/
export program where the import is extendible via a plugin architecture
might be the most flexible solution - we tried to implement this for
PALMsiever, but it turns out rather ugly if you try and do it in MATLAB.

We also have example data for a couple of extra formats which could be
included:
- PeakSelector (Harold Hess's IDL software)
- Leica GSD format
- DAOSTORM

I'm talking to Daniel Sage later today about the next ISBI challenge, one
thing to consider is requiring new algorithms in the challenge to be
submitted in the correct format.

Oh - also - don't forget about the coordinate system of the different
softwares - does 0,0 define the corner of a pixel or the middle.
Inconsistently chosen between different softwares, and crucial when you
start comparing algorithms.

Anyway, just a few initial thoughts.
Best

Seamus

PhD Student

MRC Laboratory for Molecular Cell Biology
University College London
Gower Street
London
WC1E 6BT