[ome-devel] OMERO 5.1.x/5.2.x split

Sebastien Besson (Staff) s.besson at dundee.ac.uk
Fri Jul 31 10:39:28 BST 2015

Dear all,

following the release of OMERO 5.1.3 [1], our two future milestones now
become OMERO 5.1.4 [2] and OMERO 5.2.0 [3]. To be able to work
effectively on both series without holding back development, now is
the good time for us to split our development branches again.

Most of these changes will be carried out today and early next week and
hopefully effective next Tuesday. Do not hesitate to ask or report issues during
the transition.

Short summary of changes is described as follows

At the source code level:

- dev_5_1 has been branched from develop at the 5.1.3 tag for both
  the OMERO and the OMERO documentation source code repositories

- develop now becomes the mainline for the OMERO 5.2.x development. It will
  be tagged with a 5.2.0-m0 tag as soon as the first PR is merged

- labels have been created for the `dev_5_1` PRs on both repositories

- for Bio-Formats, this split will happen when we start working on the model
  changes for 5.2, most likely during the course of August. Until then, develop
  remains the home of the Bio-Formats 5.1.x line.

- for the snoopycrimecop forks, we will be unifying our push branches naming
  across the board in favour of BRANCH/TYPE/DESCRIPTION. This should match
  the naming convention for CI jobs.
  Concretely, this means the daily merge branches integrating PRs will become:
  * dev_5_1/merge/daily for 5.1.x
  * develop/merge/daily for 5.2.x

At the CI (Jenkins) level:
- the OMERO 5.1.x development is unmodified. All the builds/tests are still performed
  by the OMERO-5.1-* jobs [4] and the deployed CI servers are still under the
  trout.openmicroscopy.org<http://trout.openmicroscopy.org> domain. The only change for these jobs is they will consume
 `dev_5_1` branches and push `dev_5_1/{merge,latest}/description` branches.

- the 5.2.x development work will be happening via the DEV view [5] (used
  previously for the decoupling work). All OMERO merge & latest jobs will  be mirrored
  early next week and triggered daily. The CI servers will be deployed under the
  eel.openmicroscopy.org<http://eel.openmicroscopy.org> domain.

- some CI queues will not be implemented/operational immediately but will appear as part
  of the 5.2.x development, namely:
  * BIOFORMATS-DEV-* (waiting for the develop/dev_5_1 split on Bio-Formats)
  * OMERO-DEV-release-* (waiting for the first 5.2 milestone tag)
  * OMERO-DEV-breaking-* (to be implemented for the jester work)

A contributing documentation PR will be opened as part of this work to document this new
development process as usual.

Best,
Sebastien

[1] https://www.openmicroscopy.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7869