[ome-devel] using LabView to write ome-tiff? with java4cpp?

Roger Leigh r.leigh at dundee.ac.uk
Wed Jul 8 23:42:30 BST 2015

On 08/07/2015 21:51, Heinrich Grabmayr wrote:
> Hi Curtis and Ian,
>
> I first tried using LibTiff, but the performance was not satisfactory
> for saving large amounts of data quickly. That is why I switched to
> saving directly from LabView.
>
> Thanks for your help, I had a bug there. Having fixed that, I can now
> save core-OMETIFFs from within labview. If anyone is interested, I am
> happy to share the VIs.
>
> Once the bio-formats.dll is out, it’ll be interesting to compare the
> performance. I have the feeling that calling dlls from LabView isn’t
> fast in general.

This is certainly getting closer to completion, though internally it is
also currently using libtiff to read and write TIFF data (whether or not
accessing it directly from LabView or via the Bio-Formats API will make
any difference I don't know).  I've got all the prerequisite libraries
building on Windows now, and got Bio-Formats itself configured with
cmake today.  There are a few little loose ends to tie up, but now the
major remaining part is adding any Windows-specific logic where it
currently will only work on Unix, and we should be done.

Out of interest, do you know if LabView requires the DLLs to be built
with a specific Visual Studio version?

Regarding writing out the TIFF comment, you might find the saveComment
implementation here of interest:
https://github.com/openmicroscopy/bioformats/blob/develop/cpp/lib/ome/bioformats/out/OMETIFFWriter.cpp#L791
It also handles bigTIFF structures and is completely independent of
libtiff; it's based on the Java implementation and the TIFF/BigTIFF specs.

Regards,
Roger

--
Dr Roger Leigh -- Open Microscopy Environment
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation and Expression,