[ome-devel] Super-Resolution standard format

Nico Stuurman nico.stuurman at ucsf.edu
Wed Jul 1 18:49:03 BST 2015

Hi Pedro,

Indeed, I worked a bit on this a couple of years ago, but since we do
not do much super resolution ourselves I kind of lost steam. The effort
was also driven by Bo Huang, who also got focused on other thing.
Instead of trying to read every format out there, I tried to develop
libraries for the various relevant development platforms (C++, Java,
Matlab) that could read and write the proposed format.

We settled on a format based on google protocol buffers
(https://developers.google.com/protocol-buffers/) because it appeared to
be a mature library for fast transmission of structured data.  Since
PALM/STORM data sets can become quite large, speed of transmission and
parsing (as well as data size) become important considerations.  To be
honest, I never fully bench-marked our tagged spot format
(https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Tagged_Spot_File_%28tsf%29_format). and
it would be good to do such comprisons with other formats.

Please do have a look at the tagged spot format, but feel free to to
propose something better.  in any case, I am convinced that you need to
start out with libraries for reading and writing for all major computing
environments, have import and export functions for text-based formats,
and that you need to enthuse the developers community to adapt your file
format.  Convincing Daniel Sage to adapt it as the format for the next
PALM/STORM challenge would go a long way...

Hope this helps!

Best,

Nico

Nico Stuurman