[ome-devel] BF exporter create big ome.tif file

Yellen, Gary gary_yellen at hms.harvard.edu
Tue Jan 27 13:56:20 GMT 2015

Hi Mary -
I previously had a similar problem using the bioformats code to export OME-Tiff’s - the files were oversized and the write time was extremely long. I’m still not sure of all the reasons for this, but it might help you to look at an earlier thread ([ome-devel] OME-Tiff writing using LOCI calls from MATLAB, and ModuloAlongT annotation).

In the message http://lists.openmicroscopy.org.uk/pipermail/ome-devel/2014-October/003036.html, I attached my substitute MATLAB code which uses LOCI calls to construct the metadata, but which writes the actual Tiff file using the MATLAB Tiff() class.  The code won’t be directly applicable, but you can see my approach and I bet it will address your problem.  I achieved about a 50x improvement in writing speed, and a 3-fold improvement in file size. Sebastien later suggested that the filesize issue might be related to division of the images into strips, but I still never achieved similar speed with the bioformats calls.

Good luck,
Gary