[ome-devel] Clean way to define log directory

Josh Moore josh at glencoesoftware.com
Sat Jan 17 12:24:32 GMT 2015

Hi Hadrien,

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 1:14 PM, Hadrien Mary <hadrien.mary at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does it exist a clean way to change the default log directory
> (var/log) to another directory ?

The assumption has been that anyone wanting to use a different var or
var/log directory would do so via a symlink:

$ mv var var.old
$ mkdir /tmp/var
$ ln -s /tmp/var var
$ bin/omero admin start
Creating /opt/omero/dist/var/master
Creating /opt/omero/dist/var/registry
No descriptor given. Using etc/grid/default.xml
Waiting on startup. Use CTRL-C to exit
$ ls /tmp/var/
log  master  registry

> For now user needs to modifiy two files: etc/master.cfg and
> etc/grid/default.xml.
>
> Don't you think it would nice to set this only with "bin/omero config
> se omero.log.dir" ?

This isn't as straight-forward as it could be since each of those
files is used during a different phase by Ice. If the symlink solution
doesn't work for you, we can certainly investigate making this easier,
most likely by modifying `bin/omero admin` itself.

Cheers,
~Josh.