[ome-devel] OMERO REST HTTP API ?

Christian Carsten Sachs c.sachs at fz-juelich.de
Mon Feb 2 12:57:53 GMT 2015

Hello,

I was wondering if there are any current plans on a REST HTTP API for
OMERO access. So far I could find neither mailing list discussions, nor
code fragments on github pointing to something like that (though my
searches might obviously be not exhaustive).

The point is, that accessing OMERO via ICE has certain downsides: it is
a very large dependency; best practice seems to keep ICE and OMERO
versions always matched which make updates far-reaching; having ICE and
OMERO library parts embedded forces one to license the result via GPL ...

Thus I think a light-weight API adhering to modern web standards would
be great. Furthermore, there exists a plethora of libraries for that
task in many languages, coupled with JSON as serialization, almost every
modern language becomes first class supported. Access to OMERO with
minimal library dependencies and without license issues, from a range of
different languages, would be great.

(As a remark for anyone who might be mistaken; I do not mean additions
to the currently existing Web API, as it follows different paradigms. A
REST HTTP API e.g. would not follow a log-in scheme coupled to the web
interface, but rather use token or the like, for one-shot requests
performing certain actions ... A REST HTTP API would provide nearly all
of the features the APIs provide ...)

Surely I'm not the first one to think about something like that, thus
I'd like to ask if there are plans, or if it wouldn't be wasted work
time to take a look at the situation myself. (I recently wrote a quick
prototype for some tests and might extend that otherwise)

Regards,
Christian Sachs

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich