[ome-devel] Release of OMERO & Bio-Formats 5.1.0

Damir Sudar dsudar at lbl.gov
Thu Apr 2 20:36:47 BST 2015

OME team,

Congrats and thanks all on this great milestone.

One quick question from someone who was somewhat impatient. I had OMERO
5.1.0-m4 installed on a test server and loaded some data into that to
try out some of the new functionality. Now I updated that to the
released 5.1.0 but it refuses to start up probably due to these error
messages in Blitz-0.log:

DB version (OMERO5.1DEV__20) does not match omero.properties
(OMERO5.1__1). Please apply a db upgrade.
See
http://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/omero5.1/sysadmins/server-upgrade.html

The server-upgrade.html instructions address how to upgrade the DB from
a 5.0.x version but that probably will not work when upgrading from m4,
right? Anything I can do to upgrade or should I just wipe my DB and
create a new one?

Thanks,
- Damir

On 4/2/2015 5:11 AM, Helen Flynn (Staff) wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Today we are releasing OMERO and Bio-Formats 5.1.0. This is a full,
> production-ready release of OME's new software tools. With this
> release, the 5.0.x line enters maintenance mode and while we will
> continue to support it throughout 2015, it will only be updated for
> major bug fixes and security issues. We will not be releasing any
> further updates to the 4.4.x line.
>
> The 5.1.0 release updates the Data Model to the January 2015 schema
> (see
> http://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/ome-model/schemas/january-2015.html),
> including support for units and new more flexible user-added metadata,
> improves performance for a number of operations and formats,
> especially import times for large datasets such as HCS and SPIM, fixes
> many bugs, and features a substantial code clean-up across the
> platform and upgrade to OMERO.web.
>
> Bio-Formats 5.1.0 includes substantially improved performance with
> network file systems, and initial version of a native C++
> implementation with its own viewer, improved support for ImageJ, and
> support for several new file formats; CellH5[1], Perkin Elmer
> Nuance[2], Amnis FlowSight[3], Veeco AFM, Zeiss .lms, I2I, plus
> support for writing Vaa3D data[4].
>

> Other features of this release are:
>
> *For Bio-Formats:*
>
>   *     Improvements to developer documentation
>   *     Improved support for opening and saving ROI data with ImageJ
>     and other ImageJ improvements/fixes
>   *     Updated RandomAccessInputStream and RandomAccessOutputStream
>     to read and write bits
>   *     Bug fixes for many file formats
>   *     Fixes and improvements to bfconvert
>

> Full details can be found at
> http://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/bio-formats5.1/about/whats-new.html
>
> *The software is available at:*
> http://downloads.openmicroscopy.org/bio-formats/5.1.0
> and the C++ implementation is available from:
> http://downloads.openmicroscopy.org/bio-formats-cpp/5.1.0/
>
> *For OMERO:*
>
>   *      New key-value pairs annotations for adding experimental metadata
>   *      Improved workflow for rendering settings and parity between
>     the clients
>   *      Import images to OMERO from ImageJ and save ROIs and overlays
>     from ImageJ to OMERO
>   *      Changing groups and delete operations are now faster
>   *      Import times are much improved for large datasets
>   *      OMERO.mail lets admins configure the server to email users
>   *      Configurable server download policy for controlling the
>     download of original files
>   *      Many developer updates such as removal of deprecated methods,
>     updates to OMERO.web and the C++ implementation
>

> Further details are available on the What's New pages:
> http://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/omero5.1/users/whatsnew.html http://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/omero5.1/sysadmins/whatsnew.html
> [...]

Damir Sudar - Staff Scientist
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory / Life Sciences Division
One Cyclotron Road, MS 977, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
T: 510/486-5346 - F: 510/486-5586 - E: DSudar at lbl.gov
WWW: http://www.lbl.gov/lifesciences/labs/sudar_lab.html