[ome-devel] BIOFORMATS bug report from a user: GATAN dm3 not read correctly

Marco Moller mmoller at cicbiomagune.es
Thu Sep 11 09:47:17 BST 2014

Dear Greg, Dear Curtis,

Sorry for not having answered before in more detail to your comments. I am a MATLAB user and only occasionally use ImageJ and therefore do not find all technical information of interest in ImageJ as quick.

Well, now I found more information, following your guidance in your comments:

> ImageJ2 uses SCIFIO (SCientific Image Format Input and Output) by default for most image input tasks. You can change this behavior at any time by running Edit > Options > ImageJ2 and modifying the Use SCIFIO when opening files option.

I confirm you, that for using the command "FILE > OPEN... " the error occurs with SCIFIO feature enabled in that configuration menu, and that the error does not occur anymore since I disabled the use of SCIFIO in that configuration menu.

The error occurs in MATLAB (2014a) using 'bfopen' from this package:

http://downloads.openmicroscopy.org/bio-formats/5.0.4/artifacts/bfmatlab.zip

By the way,

the error occurs in MATLAB independent of having added a "static path" to "bioformats_package.jar" with having configured in the bfopen.m file "autoloadBioFormats = 0;" , or using the "dynamic path" option with "autoloadBioFormats = 1;" .

Although not expecting the following error message to be linked to the reported bug with the dm3 file, I will mention it now anyway, for the case I would be wrong to not mention it. The first time calling the 'bfopen' command in a MATLAB session produces the following warning message:

"

SLF4J: Class path contains multiple SLF4J bindings.

SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/C:/Program%20Files/MATLAB/R2014a/java/jarext/slf4j/slf4j-log4j12.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]

SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/C:/Program%20Files/BIOFORMATS/bioformats_package.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]

SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#multiple_bindings for an explanation.

"

This SLF4J error message does not appear if using the dynamic binding.

Some tiny part of the full information about this SLF43J error given on the mentioned SLF4J website :

"The warning emitted by SLF4J is just that, a warning. Even when multiple bindings are present, SLF4J will pick one logging framework/implementation and bind with it. The way SLF4J picks a binding is determined by the JVM and for all practical purposes should be considered random."

I so far just ignore the warning message, because I couldn't conclude how to really solve that SLF4J problem in MATLAB, neither by the information given on the SLF4J website. However, I mention it now here, because I might be wrong with my unreliable opinion that it shouldn´t affect the dm3 read out. Who knows, sometimes computer system show very obscure behaviours. So, better you know about it this message now, too.

Best greetings from the EM-Labs of CIC biomaGUNE,

Marco