[ome-devel] OmeroCpp on Windows and 5.0.2

Roger Leigh rleigh at dundee.ac.uk
Tue May 13 11:54:16 BST 2014

Dear all,

https://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/ome/ticket/12229 is the open ticket
for the problem blocking OmeroCpp from building on Windows.  I'm
bringing it up here because we're considering this a critical blocker
for 5.0.2.  However, solving the problem in time for 5.0.2 is looking
increasingly less possible (the details are on the ticket).  Leaving
OmeroCpp broken on Windows is clearly unacceptable, but I'm afraid the
reality is that fixing this is not going to be quick or simple unless
I've overlooked something obvious.  It might in fact not be solved at
all without some massive API breakage.

If there's anyone with knowledge of Windows DLLs and its linker who has
any ideas, any input would be greatly appreciated.

- Do we need to downgrade the severity, or delay 5.0.2?
- Should ZeroC be contacted about the size of the generated code?
- Is refactoring the slice definitions a possibility for 5.1 (or 5.0.x
if this is considered sufficiently urgent)?

Regards,
Roger

--
Dr Roger Leigh -- Open Microscopy Environment
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation and Expression,