[ome-devel] SPW ome-tiffs & how to proceed?

William Moore will at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Mon Aug 18 15:27:53 BST 2014

Hi Ian,

 The only downside to "one big SPW file" is that the size of it could get beyond what is practical to download in web.

We have to build a zip file on the fly that contains all the files in the file-set. This has to happen faster than the http request timeout.
Then the zip has to be a reasonable size to download, which will depend on bandwidth etc.
I don't know the upper limit on what will actually work, but I imagine it's possible to have a plate exceed several GB?

Also, I'm wondering if all software that reads one.tiff will handle SPW data?
Maybe if your users are using BioFormats to read the data, it may handle SPW just as easily as single ome.tiffs?
But is that also true of other packages that read one.tiff?

Anyway, it doesn't affect my web code - just wanted to flag a couple of considerations.

Should have a PR open soon….

  Will.