[ome-devel] OMERO.features API development

Simon Li s.p.li at dundee.ac.uk
Wed Apr 23 22:10:06 BST 2014

Hi all

Now that OMERO 5.0 is out of the way, and OMERO.searcher and WND-CHRM are either released or very close to release, I think it's time to restart our OMERO.features discussions.

We got as far as the idea of a 2D table with any number of key-value pairs on each column and row, so for example each row could be as simple as (OmeroType: Image, OmeroId: 123), or in the case of features which are a function of multiple images or channels (OmeroType: Image, OmeroId: 123, Channel1: 0, Channel2: 3), etc. Columns could for example be (FeatureFamily: WndCharm, Feature: Zernike). Each table cell could either be a scalar or array. Retrieving features could be done by providing key-value pairs to be matched.

All of this is still up for discussion, especially since the implementation of this interface could be challenging and there's some redundancy/ambiguity. Just to be clear, the above is a conceptual description of how the API would appear to users, the actual back-end could be completely different.

Lee Kamentsky gave us a use case just before Christmas [1], Chris Coletta and Ivan Cao-berg are planning to summarise how they see WND-CHARM and OMERO.searcher fitting in. I know a few other people are interested in this discussion, so feel free to respond here or in the forums.

A few of us are planning to meet up at the OME Paris meeting- if you're interested drop me an email.

Thanks

Simon

[1] http://lists.openmicroscopy.org.uk/pipermail/ome-devel/2013-November/002573.html