[ome-devel] OMERO setup notes

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Tue Mar 26 15:25:49 GMT 2013

Hi Sebastian,

> I tried to convert most of your comments into a documentation Pull
> Request: https://github.com/openmicroscopy/ome-documentation/pull/301
> Please have a look at it and let me know if I missed important points.

Thanks for the rapid turnaround! I like the changes. I wrote a few thoughts
in the PR.

> - or keep all installation pages under sysadmin and split section
> containing source code/downloads specificities

Since this option is what the PR does at the moment, and is less
disruptive, I think it's fine.

> I don't have a strong opinion on which of these options is the best.

Me either.

> As long as we can improve the visibility/navigation without increasing
> the developers maintenance burden, I am open to any suggestion.

Right. It might we worth adding a blurb to the top of the two sysadmin
walkthrough pages which explicitly states something like:

This walkthrough covers installation of OMERO from either a binary
distribution or from source. Both installations are very similar—the
prerequisites must be installed in either case—with differences outlined
below in the "Development server" section.

Lastly, we could add a new bullet point to the toplevel OMERO developer
documentation page, in the "Introduction to OMERO" section: "Installing
OMERO from source" with two sub-items, "OS X" and "Linux", which link to
the two respective walkthroughs. Such a link would have helped me a lot
personally, because the first thing I looked for was an "installing OMERO
from source" sort of page in the developer documentation section. And while
that page does state at the top that "Instructions on downloading,
installation and administering OMERO can be found under the System
Administrator Documentation of the main site", this sentence implies (to
me) that those pages will be about downloading and installing from tarball
only, not from source.

Regards,
Curtis

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 7:01 AM, Sebastien Besson <s.besson at dundee.ac.uk>wrote:

> [...]
>>> --datadir=/U
>>> ==> make install-world
>>> /bin/sh ../../config/install-sh -c -d
>>> '/Users/curtis/brew/Cellar/postgresql/9.2.3/share/postgresql/extension'
>>> /bin/sh ../../config/install-sh -c -m 755  adminpack.so
>>> '/Users/curtis/brew/Cellar/postgresql/9.2.3/lib/adminpack.so'
>>> /bin/sh ../../config/install-sh -c -m 644 ./adminpack.control
>>> '/Users/curtis/brew/Cellar/postgresql/9.2.3/share/postgresql/extension/'
>>> /bin/sh ../../config/install-sh -c -m 644 ./adminpack--1.0.sql
>>>  '/Users/curtis/brew/Cellar/postgresql/9.2.3/share/postgresql/extension/'
>>> make: *** [install-world-contrib-recurse] Error 2
>>>
>>>  $ sudo mv /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework /Library/Frameworks/pfx
>>>
>>>  $ brew install postgresql
>>> ==> Downloading
>>> http://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/source/v9.2.3/postgresql-9.2.3.tar
>>> Already downloaded:
>>> /Users/curtis/Library/Caches/Homebrew/postgresql-9.2.3.tar.bz2
>>> ==> Patching
>>> patching file src/pl/plpython/Makefile
>>> patching file contrib/uuid-ossp/uuid-ossp.c
>>> ==> ./configure --prefix=/Users/curtis/brew/Cellar/postgresql/9.2.3
>>> --datadir=/U
>>> ==> make install-world
>>> /bin/sh ../../config/install-sh -c -m 755  adminpack.so
>>> '/Users/curtis/brew/Cellar/postgresql/9.2.3/lib/adminpack.so'
>>> /bin/sh ../../config/install-sh -c -d
>>> '/Users/curtis/brew/Cellar/postgresql/9.2.3/share/postgresql/extension'
>>> /bin/sh ../../config/install-sh -c -m 644 ./adminpack.control
>>> '/Users/curtis/brew/Cellar/postgresql/9.2.3/share/postgresql/extension/'
>>> /bin/sh ../../config/install-sh -c -m 644 ./adminpack--1.0.sql
>>>  '/Users/curtis/brew/Cellar/postgresql/9.2.3/share/postgresql/extension/'
>>> make: *** [install-world-contrib-recurse] Error 2
>>>
>>>  $ sudo mv /Library/Frameworks/pfx /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework
>>>
>>>  $ brew doctor
>>> Warning: Your Homebrew is not installed to /usr/local
>>> You can install Homebrew anywhere you want, but some brews may only build
>>> correctly if you install in /usr/local. Sorry!
>>>
>>>  (Note: the logs above do not include another failure I had when
>>> installing berkeley-db46.)
>>>
>>>  [4] Selected logs from OMERO Linux installation:
>>>
>>>  $ omero config get omero.db.name

>>>          http://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/community
>>>
>>>          If you are building from source, please supply the build log
>>>         as well as which version you are building from. If you
>>>         downloaded a distribution, please provide which link you
>>>         used.
>>>

>>> ********************************************************************************
>>>
>>>          Debugging Info:
>>>         --------------
>>>         CWD=/home/curtis/code/ome/openmicroscopy
>>>         VERSION=2.7.3 (default, Aug  1 2012, 05:14:39)  [GCC 4.6.3]
>>>         OMERO_HOME=/home/curtis/code/ome/openmicroscopy
>>>         PYTHONPATH=['/home/curtis/code/ome/openmicroscopy/lib/python',
>>> '/home/curtis/code/ome/openmicroscopy/var/lib',
>>> '/home/curtis/code/ome/openmicroscopy/dist/bin',
>>> '/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7', '/home/curtis/code/ome/openmicroscopy',
>>> '/usr/lib/python2.7', '/usr/lib/python2.7/plat-linux2',
>>> '/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-tk', '/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-old',
>>> '/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload', '/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages',
>>> '/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages', '/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PIL',
>>> '/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gst-0.10',
>>> '/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0',
>>> '/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ubuntu-sso-client',
>>> '/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ubuntuone-client',
>>> '/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ubuntuone-control-panel',
>>> '/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ubuntuone-couch',
>>> '/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ubuntuone-installer',
>>> '/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ubuntuone-storage-protocol',