[ome-devel] adding woolz to bioformats

Melissa Linkert melissa at glencoesoftware.com
Fri Jul 12 14:57:57 BST 2013

Hi Bill,

> I've pulled a fresh development (the default) branch of
> bioformats from github and added (reduced git status output):
>

> #       new file:
> components/bio-formats/src/loci/formats/in/WlzReader.java
>
> #       modified:   components/scifio/src/loci/formats/readers.txt
> #       modified:   scan-deps.pl
> #
> # Untracked files:
> #   (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)
> #
> #       00-bills-notes.txt
> #       jar/JWlz.jar
> #       lib/libJWlz-1.3.2.so
> #       lib/libJWlz.so
>
> *Q* How do I get the build system to see/use my JWlz jar file?

To have your reader build with jar/JWlz.jar, you
will need to update the component.classpath property in
components/bio-formats/build.properties to include ${lib.dir}/JWlz.jar.
You will also need to add a block similar to this in the "dependencies"
section of components/bio-formats/pom.xml:

  <dependency>
    <groupId>woolz</groupId>
    <artifactId>JWlz</artifactId>
    <version>1.3.2</version>
    <scope>system</scope>
    <systemPath>${basedir}/jar/JWlz.jar</systemPath>
  </dependency>

The JWlz.jar and any of the *.so files that it needs should be committed
on the same branch as WlzReader.java.

> I modified scan-deps.pl:
>
> +my %woolz = (
> +  NAME    => "woolz",
> +  TITLE   => "Woolz",
> +  JAR     => "JWlz.jar",
> +  PACKAGE => "uk.ac.mrc.hgu.Wlz",
> +  LICENSE => "GPL",
> +  URL     => "https://github.com/ma-tech/Woolz",
> +  NOTES   => <<ZZ,
> +used for reading/writing Woolz objects
> +ZZ
> +  VERSION => "1.3.2"
> +);
>
> although I'm not sure if I needed to do this (*Q*)? Trying
> to run scan-deps.pl just gives complaints about non-existant
> jar files, eg
>
> Component bf-autogen.jar does not exist at ./scan-deps.pl line 623.
>
> *Q* Is this normal?

Updating scan-deps.pl is not something you need to worry about; it won't
affect building the reader.  If needed, we can always update it later.

> Previously I just hacked in a symbolic link to my java-woolz
> sources.
>
> I know I've still to write the service that will isolate
> bioformats from Woolz, but I'll write it once I've a sensible
> build going with read/write of Woolz objects. That way I'll
> know what's needed.

Makes complete sense.  If any of the above is unclear, just let us know.

Regards,
-Melissa