[ome-devel] OMERO server JARs as dependencies

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Fri Aug 30 21:12:52 BST 2013

Hi all,

> +1 vote for maven for me too.

I had a brief offline discussion with Josh. For my use case (calling ImageJ
commands as OMERO scripts, which ends up being a "client-side" thing), it
is sufficient to use omero_client.jar, which is an "uber-jar" encapsulating
many of its dependencies.

It does not encapsulate SLF4J and log4j, but IIUC those dependencies likely
won't come into play unless actually instantiating an OMERO client. It also
does not encapsulate its Spring framework dependencies.

For Maven users, I placed two recent versions of this OMERO client library
in the ImageJ Maven repository:

http://maven.imagej.net/content/repositories/thirdparty/ome/omero-client/

4.4.8p1-ice33-b304 = 4.4.8p1 release version, built for Ice 3.3
4.4.8-452-cbe42bc-ice34-b326 = a build from dev_4_4 from earlier today,
built for Ice 3.4

These versions have a simple POM which declares the Spring framework
libraries as dependencies. For the sake of thoroughness, I also committed
the POMs to source control:

https://github.com/imagej/imagej-omero/commit/867375c0

In my brief tests, all is OK at compile time; haven't tested runtime yet
though. I will reply back if there are any problems.

Cheers,
Curtis