[ome-devel] Modularising the bio-formats build using git submodules

Johannes Schindelin Johannes.Schindelin at gmx.de
Mon Aug 5 16:43:27 BST 2013

Hi Curtis,

On Sun, 4 Aug 2013, Curtis Rueden wrote:

> Before we proceed too far down the submodules road though, I am curious
> how it compares to the use of git subtree, a relatively newer approach
> to this problem.

There is also the 'repo' tool that is used by Android's tool chain in a
major way.

The real problem, of course, is that you need strong version couplings if
you want to avoid having to check out and update all the submodules anyway
(which would defeat the purpose of using submodules in the first place).

If you do that, you can still have that uber project that has all the
appropriate release versions of the used sub projects as submodules.

Ciao,
Dscho