[ome-devel] Ice vs. GlassFish

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Fri Aug 2 16:21:48 BST 2013

Hi Gus,

> My initial response after speaking to other members of the OME Team is
> that Glassfish is Java-only, while Ice allows components to be written
> in different languages on both the client and server. e.g. Python,
> C++, in addition to Java.

Indeed. I think the issue is less about application servers (GlassFish,
JBoss, etc.) and more about cross-language client-server interoperability.
AFAIK, GlassFish does not have an IDL at all, which is something OMERO
really leans on heavily.

Other options besides ZeroC Ice could be Apache Thrift [1], or maybe with
more effort Hessian [2] or Protocol Buffers [3] (these latter two are not
trying to do as much, so more supporting infrastructure would be needed).
But Ice, despite it being such a PITA in many ways, is also very powerful
and performant. And at this point OMERO is *very* well-tested with it.

I'm sure Josh and/or Chris has much more insight and experience with this
issue... :-)

Regards,
Curtis

[1] http://thrift.apache.org/