[ome-devel] Tiff Writing with Bio-Formats

Melissa Linkert melissa at glencoesoftware.com
Mon Nov 19 03:53:46 GMT 2012

Hi Grant,

[CC'ing the ome-devel mailing list, as that is the best place for this sort
of question]

I'm thinking about using Bio-Formats to save ome-tiff images during
> acquistion.  Would you recommend this?
> I'm wondering if the performance is adequate for this purpose, given the
> high frame-rates that are typical.

If you have all of the acquisition metadata in advance, then that should be
possible.  I would be a little surprised if performance is adequate for
saving directly during acquisition, but it really depends upon disk speed
and what you consider to be adequate.

> The folks at Micro-Manager wrote their own Tiff writer.  They use
> Bio-Formats to provide OME-Tiff metadata, but wrote their own Tiff
> writer.   Did you (or Mellisa) ever talk with them about this?
> Do you thinks the Bio-Formats OMETiffWriter is as fast, faster?

My understanding is that they used their own TIFF writer as it was already
in place (for the original Micro-Manager format), and is likely faster than
Bio-Formats' OME-TIFF writer.  However, I haven't actually profiled both
writers and compared the results.

Regards,
-Melissa