[ome-devel] OME-XML Major Version Release

Andrew Patterson ajpatterson at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Thu Jun 28 15:50:53 BST 2012

Hello,

The Open Microscopy Environment is pleased to announce a major update to the OME-XML schema files. These files provide the authoritative description of the OME Data Model.

This June 2012 release is a major (breaking) version that is NOT backwardly compatible with files created for the June 2011 release.

As this is a major release it makes use of a new namespace:
http://www.openmicroscopy.org/Schemas/OME/2012-06/

Full details of the changes made can be found at
http://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/file-formats/schemas/versions/changes-for-june-2012

Key features with this release include:
- Release in step with release of Bio-Formats 4.4
- Preparation for the Major release of OMERO after 4.4
- Work to allow full code generation of OME Model API direct from the XSD files
- Almost full synchronisation of the OME Model with the OMERO Database structure*
- The direction of references between Screen, Plate & Well and between Project, Dataset & Image have been reversed.
- A major reworking of ROI
- Pixels is __DEPRECATED__, but it is still required at present.
- OTF and all associated objects ___REMOVED___.

*Note: some differences must remain between OME Model and OMERO Database for database optimisation reasons, these are handled by special cases in our code generation application 'xsd-fu'.

Thank you to everyone who provided input on these changes. We welcome your suggestions for further improvements.
Comments can be emailed to us or left on our forums:
http://www.openmicroscopy.org/community/

Thanks,

Andrew

--
Andrew Patterson
ajpatterson at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Software Developer, Open Microscopy Environment
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation and Expression, University of Dundee