[ome-devel] [ImageJ-devel] Question about Bioformats, Scifio and ImageJ 2.0

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Thu Jul 5 20:34:58 BST 2012

Hi Birgit,

> loci-common-4.4-imagej-2.0.0-beta2.1.jar
> ome-xml-4.4-imagej-2.0.0-beta2.1.jar
> poi-loci-4.4-imagej-2.0.0-beta2.1.jar
> scifio-4.4-imagej-2.0.0-beta2.1.jar

The "4.4-imagej-2.0.0-beta2.1" release is a version that we built for
ImageJ2, off the latest develop branch of bioformats.git. There are no
special hacks or changes specific to ImageJ2; we simply needed the latest
bugfixes and API changes in order for ImageJ2's file I/O to work properly.
We are hoping to avoid this sort of custom-built version in the future,
after the OME 4.4 release, when we expect to have

They all seem to contain parts of the Bioformats/Loci/OME-XML libraries.
> It appears that most of the contents of these libraries have formerly
> been part of loci_tools.jar. Our question is in how far these libraries
> are compatible (or even equal?) to the other (older?) ones which can be
> downloaded from the Bioformats page, i.e. loci_tools.jar.

The loci_tools.jar is a convenience bundle of bio-formats.jar plus its
dependencies. For details, see:
    http://loci.wisc.edu/bio-formats/bio-formats-java-library#jars

Regarding compatibility, you should be free to mix and match your own
version of the Bio-Formats code, particularly newer versions (since we try
not to break backwards compatibility).

> The thing is that our software is supposed to principally run in ImageJ
> 1.0 as well as in 2.0. Therefore it would be great if we could rely on
> just one version of bioformats, i.e. either loci_tools or the four
> libraries from above.

You should be able to rely on a single version of Bio-Formats without
problems (ideally the latest version).

The question of whether to use loci_tools.jar or bio-formats.jar +
dependencies is up to you; every developer likes to do things his/her own
way. That said, if you want my personal advice, I would suggest structuring
your code as a Maven project, which makes dependency management much easier
and gives your project a standardized build process. Then you don't have to
worry about juggling JARs yourself nearly so much. I would be happy to
elaborate further and/or provide code examples if you are interested; just
let me know.

Regards,
Curtis