[ome-devel] Debian+OMERO

Josh Moore josh at glencoesoftware.com
Mon Jan 30 20:07:05 GMT 2012

On Jan 30, 2012, at 4:26 PM, Tony Travis wrote:

> On 30/01/12 07:46, Josh Moore wrote:
>> Updated
>> https://www.openmicroscopy.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=665
>>
>> Best wishes for the sprint,
>
> Hi, Josh

Hi Tony, Andreas,

(cc ome-devel list)

>> Sure. We have the source downloads available on the Jenkins server,
>> for example OMERO.source-dbcbce5a-b4.zip, which we can certainly copy
>> over. Do they need to follow a particular naming pattern for you to
>> be able to automatically track them? Would the downloads from
>> https://github.com/openmicroscopy/openmicroscopy/tags help in any
>> way?
>
> Yes, thanks this is exactly what we were looking for:
>
>  https://github.com/openmicroscopy/openmicroscopy/tarball/v.4.3.4
>
> Andreas asked me about the jar's containing classes without source code in the release: Would you be willing to give us a list of all the jar's external to OMERO so we can 'Debianise' your release?

This is the comprehensive list:

  https://github.com/openmicroscopy/openmicroscopy/tree/master/lib/repository

but I know that some work has already been done for some of the OME-specific jars, like Bio-Formats and all of its dependencies, and many of the jars will have already been Debian-ised. (btw, where did the number '>800' come from?)

> OME/OMERO is already on the Debian-med 'wish-list' - Info about Debian-Med is at:
>
>  http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/
>
> Andreas advised me about how to begin packaging OMERO and I'll post a message on the Debian-med list about it to see who is interested.

Sounds great. I've joined debian-med and will try to follow any discussions. For OME devs who may be interested:

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2012/01/msg00452.html

> My immediate objective is to make it avaialble in Bio-Linux, but it would be better to have it as a Debian-Med package. The difficulty with that is how to comply with Debian policy of building a package entirely from source. Any help you can give us about identifying jar's containing external dependencies without source in the release would be useful.

I'm not sure how far it gets us toward debianification, but my assumption was that a "debian" Ivy resolver would go a long way by pulling jars strictly from /usr/share/java:

  https://github.com/openmicroscopy/openmicroscopy/blob/master/etc/ivysettings.xml

> Thanks,
>  Tony.

Cheers,