[ome-devel] About SPW 'runs' (and .flex import)

Anatole Chessel ac744 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Jan 25 16:32:34 GMT 2012

Hi all,

    A couple of quick question about SPW: we switched to 4.3.3 recently,
and 'runs' made their apparition in Insight, I guess corresponding to
'PlateAcquisition' (they where not there before, right, or did I just
not saw them?). I am not sure how that work: it seems to be a shortcut
for a subset of well samples based on dates? So a plate have only one
well at each position, which have a number of well sample, each with a
position and a date. They are all equivalent as well samples, and a
PlateAqusition links to a subset of them between two dates. In insight
however, a plate is divided in runs and fields, which is done under the
assumption that the same locations (different fields at the same time)
are acquired at different time (different runs at the same position). Is
that right?

   The thing is, in our case different runs correspond to different
fields, for both technical and biological reasons, so 5 consecutive runs
of a plate would be done each in a different location in wells,
corresponding actually to 5 fields (but done plate-wise, not well-wise).
Data (plain .flex), when imported, used to appear as different plates,
and I had a script putting them together as different fields of the same
plate (relinking well-sample of plate B to the wells of plate A). Now
they appear as different runs of different plate (see screenshot
attached); I am not sure whether that is an importation bug or an
expected behaviour given our unexpected data and quite how to deal with
it (as my script do not seem to be working any more -or at least insight
is not showing any changes, I am guessing it is confused between runs
and fields-)...

   Lastly it seems that if an image in a well is tagged, and looked for
using the search interface, there is no way of knowing where (which
plate and screen) it comes from, as the only info is about datasets, not
plates. I reported that a while back (it ended up here I think:
http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/ome/ticket/3871). Any plans for that?
It would come in handy...

Hoping I am somewhat understandable,
Many thanks,