[ome-devel] Using ome-xml format

Alexandre Granier alexandre.granier at mri.cnrs.fr
Tue Dec 11 14:09:37 GMT 2012

Hello All,

I'm using ome-xml to store metadata of images. Now bioformat has
better support for the ndpi format (nanozoomer from hamamatsu)
and is able to read some of the metadata.
Unfortunately, the information about zoom level embedded in a
file is not retrieved. I would like to do it by myself but
I don't see the exact structure to use.

I see two way:

I can add an "Instrument" element and add many "Objective" elements
but then I want to link them with their corresponding "Image" element.
How ?

To better understand, an example with two images (x5 and x20 zoom)
loci Bioformat importer extract that:

<OME xmlns=...>
<Image ID="Image:0">
  <AcquisitionDate>...</AcquisitionDate>
  <Pixels ...></Pixels>
</Image>
<Image ID="Image:2">
  <AcquisitionDate>...</AcquisitionDate>
  <Pixels ...></Pixels>
</Image>

<!-- here is what I want to add,
 Need to link with above images -->
<Instrument ...>
  <Objectif NominalMagnification="20" .../>
  <Objectif NominalMagnification="5" .../>
</Instrument>
</OME>

Or perhaps, I can create an "Instrument" element for each
zoom level and use the "InstrumentRef" attribute of the "Image" element
to link Image and Instrument.

What do you think is better ?

Thanks!
Alexandre