[ome-devel] Bio-Formats and IDL

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Wed Apr 11 20:02:53 BST 2012

Hi Guy,

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 4:59 AM, Guy Blanchard <gb288 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> I hope you don't mind my replying directly - please pass on if someone
> else is better suited to answer.

No problem; I have CCed the appropriate mailing list.

> With thanks mainly to Karsten for showing how to get bio-formats reading
> going through the IDL JavaBridge, I have written an object in IDL for
> reading image volumes which is working fine on our Macs of various age, OS
> and IDL version, and with the IDL Virtual Machine. It is happy with almost
> all file formats I've thrown at it, and so I'm very happy with it. I have a
> few questions below that I hope someone can answer.
>
> Once I have the IDL object running robustly for all our desired
> functionality, I'd be very happy to share this, and support your project.

That would be greatly appreciated!

FYI, effective nice way to share is via GitHub: fork the Bio-Formats
repository (https://github.com/openmicroscopy/bioformats.git), make changes
to your fork, then file a pull request for us to merge the changes back
upstream.

> A few questions:
>
> 1 Looking at the metadata in many file formats, there is information about
> the size of the x-, y- and z- steps, mostly/always in millimetres. I did
> not find anything in your documentation about ImageReader (or other
> objects) retrieving this information - either I've missed it, or is this
> kind of information too varied between formats for you to be able to
> extract it reliably?

Bio-Formats does retrieve the information, and standardizes it to OME data
structures (i.e., OME-XML). In OME terminology, they are called
PhysicalSizeX, PhysicalSizeY and PhysicalSizeZ, and are stored in microns.

Here is an example of how to access it from Java:
https://github.com/openmicroscopy/bioformats/blob/develop/components/bio-formats/utils/GetPhysicalMetadata.java

> 2 FilePatterns
> I can successfully generate appropriate FilePatterns (through
> FileStitcher) to read lists of tiff files in one directory.
> However, our native file format that was set up about 10 years ago and
> which we use extensively (which is not very sensible in retrospect, but it
> made sense at the time) for 4D movies (tiffs) is:
>
> .../basepath/basename.ch_[c]/basename.[z]/basename[t].[z]
>
> where the [z] number is both in the name of a directory, and in the
> filenames in that directory. I have not been able to find a way to set up
> an appropriate FilePattern that works for this format. Is this too
> complicated, or is there a way to do this either with regexp or by teaching
> FilePattern that the [z] is used twice in the name?

Hmm, unfortunately, I am guessing we will need to file a ticket for that.

> 3 log4j
> I'm afraid I'm not very experienced with Java, and I'm having trouble
> getting log4j working.
>
> % log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger
> (loci.common.NIOByteBufferProvider).
> % log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.
>
> There seems to be some log4j already bound up in your loci_tools.jar, and
> I've tried various combinations of adding the various jars from the
> log4j/slf4j site that you point us to, but in the end can't work out which
> jars to include. Currently I am just using loci_tools.jar and idljavab.jar
> (rather than bio-formats.jar and others, since one download is simpler than
> many).

Yes, all the needed log4j stuff is already included in loci_tools.jar. So
in theory those messages should not be appearing. You see them only when
calling Bio-Formats from IDL?

> I'm hoping that once this is running, getting control back from the IDL
> JavaBridge will be possible - at the moment if I interrupt while control is
> with bio-formats through the Java Bridge, my session hangs.

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, I am not experienced enough with IDL to
be able to recommend a solution.

Regards,
Curtis