[ome-devel] Auto-detecting whether to export as BigTIFF

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Tue Apr 10 22:42:16 BST 2012

Hi everyone,

Below is a recent discussion on fiji-users about exporting very large TIFF
files (i.e., BigTIFF needed).

I looked at the source code for TiffWriter and think it would be doable to
automatically turn on the isBigTiff flag if the total size of all planes to
be written exceeds the 4GB threshold. This check would happen once, just
prior to calling tiffSaver.writeHeader(), so the correct header type gets
written. The only tricky bit is at the edge case where the IFD metadata
might push the file over the limit. One (hacky) way around this issue would
be to switch to BigTIFF when the pixel data is even close: say, over 3.5GB.

Do you agree this would be a good idea? If so, can we file a ticket for it?

Thanks,
Curtis