[ome-devel] Update on OMERO and HCS

Jason Swedlow jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Sun Oct 9 21:45:38 BST 2011

Hi Harri-

On 7 Oct 2011, at 13:16, Harri Jäälinoja wrote:

> Dear Jason,
>
> this looks very interesting. Would it be possible to display also image analysis results attached to the original images? It would be great to have an easy access to segmentation and/or object recognition results, to have the possibility to check how the analysis has worked.

We definitely can display ROIs-- identified objects, etc., and these can be linked to features calculated from these images.  One of the challenges here is that these are usually fairly custom (even from commercial platforms, there are often many different ways of calculating and storing results).  We have achieved this for specific situations.

> Actually I have never seen how the HCS support in OMERO is currently, because OMERO doesn't have readers for our HCS systems. In our unit we have a Cellomics CellInsight and a Leica HCS-A. How is the situation, are there any plans to add support for these?

As always, our support for file formats, via Bio-Formats, depends on great sample data sets.  If you have these, we can definitely add it to the Bio-Formats to-do list.

> Both image formats are supported, so that's not a problem. Just the plate level reading is missing. I will have look at the code for the existing HCS readers, but I don't know if I have enough time or skills to implement something.

If you mean plate metadata (wells, detectors, channels, etc), that should be straightforward.  If you mean analysis results from calculated features, that is certainly more work, and often quite custom.  Let us look at the data, and we can tell you what's possible.

Cheers,

Jason

email: jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk