[ome-devel] About ROIs...

Anatole Chessel ac744 at cam.ac.uk
Thu May 5 16:17:39 BST 2011

Dear all...

I begun working with ROIs, specifically trying to do back and forth of
segmentations between omero and matlab. Their implementation is quite
powerful once you get your head around it (as for most omero :)...). I
have a few questions I could not really find documentation on, though:
-What is the format for polygon? It seems like it is expecting a string
with 'points[...] points1[...] points2[...] mask[...]'. What is what? I
put the same coordinate lists in all three 'points' and zeros in mask
and it seems to work, but...
-What about the various miscellaneous fields (colors, styles, etc), are
they all implemented (the examples seems to indicates some might not
be)? And what are the possible values (for colors in particular)?
-The field 'theC' seems not to be set in roi created under insight, and
roi naturally seems to exists across channel (for measurements, ect). Is
that field actually used?
-Rois are not shown on the projections. Obviously showing shapes from
various z on a single plane is not straightforward, but it might be very
handy in some cases (a 2D segmentation propagated to the whole stack for
example).

More generally, if I understand correctly, rois are defined as a
collection of 2D x-y shapes each of them having a depth z, a time t and
possibly a channel c. One can imagine cases when this modeling would not
make things easy (3D segmentation, single tracks in time, tubular
objects in 3D...). A related note is hierarchical ROI, holding for
example a segmented cell and intracellular compartment/objects. But this
would be trying to see roi as an intrinsic way to hold arbitrary
geometrical data, which they I guess were not designed to be. Any
thought on this/plan to extend the current model?

Many thanks...

A.

--
Anatole Chessel