[ome-devel] Building OMERO from source

Josh Moore josh.moore at gmx.de
Mon Jul 18 09:39:03 BST 2011

Hi Ankur,

the entire history is multiple GBs, but you won't need all of that for building from source. Instead you could extract just the latest revision:

  git archive --remote git://openmicroscopy.org/ome.git develop > omero-latest.tar

   or

  git archive --remote git://openmicroscopy.org/ome.git v.4.3.1 > omero-4.3.1.tar
  /tmp $ ls -ltrah omero-4.3.1.tar
  -rw-r--r--  1 moore  wheel   373M Jul 18 09:58 omero-4.3.1.tar

but the 373MB DOES include the jars which you intend to rebuild, namely all of those under lib/repository. You will either need to replace the jars in place with your self-compiled ones, or modify the Ivy configuration (etc/ivysettings.xml) in order to pick up the jars elsewhere. Further, the server expects to find the jars under lib/server (of the compiled version) making use of "java -jar lib/server/blitz.jar" and blitz.jar's manifest, which you will need to modify if you don't want any jars stored under lib/server.

Please let us know if you run into any problems.

Cheers,
~Josh