[ome-devel] Who's who in Pixels? (iRODS ideas...)

Harri Jäälinoja harri.jaalinoja at helsinki.fi
Wed Dec 21 15:56:10 GMT 2011

Hi Josh,

>> Hmm, maybe in this scenario it would anyway be useful to add an iRODS metadata field to the data set, to tell which OMERO server has the metadata for it. So when you register a data set from a collaborator at your OMERO site, the steps would be:
>
> That certainly seems plausible. Or, if iRODS supported "federated metadata" it could just proxy all the metadata from OMERO (I have *no* clue if this is possible or not)

the iRODS metadata consists of (attribute, value, unit) triplets (AVUs)
that are stored in the database. If these were to be used, it would
first be necessary to get the metadata from OMERO and populate the iRODS
database. I don't think it would be possible to get the metadata
directly from OMERO in a transparent/federated way.

There is also a system to access external databases:
https://www.irods.org/index.php/Database_Resources
It sounds like with this you could access the OMERO Postgres database
and query metadata.

Federation in iRODS means integration between zones
(https://www.irods.org/index.php/Federation). A zone always has it's own
metadata catalog. It seems that in the standard cross-zone replication,
metadata would not be replicated (http://code.google.com/p/extrods/),
and with the CZDRS code you can replicate also the metadata.

Here's also a presentation where on pages 33-39 some federation
deployment models are outlined:
http://colab.mpdl.mpg.de/mediawiki/File:ESci_09_Sem_2_iRODS_Federation_Hasan.pdf

>> # register and tell where to look for metadata
>> bin/omero register --omerohost=$OMEROHOST $DATASET
>>
>> Or something like that :)
>
> :) Seems like that last command would still end up creating two separate copies in OMERO. I guess it all depends on what one wants to do with the second iRODS replicate. If it's to launch, say, OMERO scripts, then there will need to be some way to go about getting the script to one of the replicates. Hmmm....

Here my fantasy was that you have local OMERO instances at collaborating
institutes A and B. Both A and B also use the same iRODS data grid. When
people at A want to analyze data from B, they can use iRODS to make a
local replicate of the data on a drive where it will be visible to
OMERO. Then they would register it, and they would be able to run
scripts. And my fantasy continued so that now OMERO at A knows that it
is not the rightful owner of the data set, and when users make
annotations etc., it will forward them to OMERO at B. OMERO at A would
start to act as proxy to OMERO at B, for this data set. I've no clue if
there is even the tiniest possibility this might not remain a fantasy :)

If the institutes A and B have their images on a federated iRODS data
grid, then they can see all of the data as one big virtual collection.
And if they have access rights, they can read the data. I guess the
people who have been asking the OME team about possibility to manage
data between institutes might be looking for the same in OMERO; a way to
browse projects and datasets in OMERO, even if the data is at different
locations. Since I'm already getting used to iRODS, I would be content
to use it for locating the data and transferring it wherever I need. For
example, the project and dataset IDs can be stored in iRODS metadata, so
then it will not be too difficult to find the correct data set. And when
I need to actually see the images, run batch analysis and so on, I would
use OMERO.

It's a nice puzzle :)

Cheers,
Harri