[ome-devel] Who's who in Pixels? (iRODS ideas...)

Josh Moore josh at glencoesoftware.com
Mon Dec 19 10:57:07 GMT 2011

On Dec 16, 2011, at 4:20 PM, Harri Jäälinoja wrote:

> Hi again,
> I was just browsing the list archives looking for info about OMERO scripting, and my eye caught this:
>
> http://lists.openmicroscopy.org.uk/pipermail/ome-users/2011-June/002652.html
>
> "The OME Team is starting to see many requests for the kind of thing you are asking:  "... manage image data across multiple centers/institutes and research labs"."
>
> This is also something that can be accomplished with iRODS. So I think if it is possible to achieve a working integration between the two systems, there is no need to implement the same functionality again in OMERO.
>
> What I suggested earlier, the possibility register data into OMERO, would be one way to allow "image access" to iRODS. In this case, when I want to see my collaborators data in OMERO, I would first use iRODS to replicate it on a local storage resource (where OMERO can see it), and then register it to OMERO.

Hi Harri,

Since often it's not just the data that users want to collaborate on, but also the annotations and other metadata associated with it, the views would disconnected if the same data lived in multiple OMERO instances. But iRODs would certainly be an option for sharing the binary data between sites.

Cheers,
~Josh.