[ome-devel] Python Blitzgateway API changes, OMERO 4.3.

Will Moore will at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Mon Apr 11 16:36:39 BST 2011

Dear All,

The BlitzGateway API, as described  http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/ome/wiki/OmeroPy/Gateway
  and used by the OmeroWeb framework is being substantially revised in
the 4.3 release of OMERO, scheduled for June 2011.

These changes aim to reduce the number of methods, while increasing
the available functionality.

The details of which methods are being removed, and how to achieve the
same functionality from new methods can be found  http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/ome/wiki/Api/BlitzGateway
  (summarised below).

The BlitzGateway API is an attempt to unify all of our internal uses
of the OMERO API while providing a more pythonic interface to end-
users. This is, however, a work in progress, and feedback is very much
welcome. The page above will be kept up to date with changes as the
release approaches.

Do note that some of the methods which could not yet be removed in the
refactoring are not intended for general consumption. Such internal
methods will be documented and should be used sparsely if at all.

Following the 4.3 release, further improvements will be made on the
BlitzGateway API, but we will be doing our best to minimise the impact
on users of the documented public methods.

For more details about this work on the Blitz Gateway, please see http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/ome/wiki/OmeroPy/GatewayInfo

To summarise the changes currently planned for the 4.3 release:

All these methods are being replaced by either getObjects() or
getObject():
getProject, getDataset, getScreen, getPlate, getImage,
getFileAnnotation, getCommentAnnotation, getTagAnnotation, getGroup,
findProject, lookupTagAnnotation

This method is being replaced by getAnnotationLinks():
listImages

All search methods are being replaced by searchObjects():
searchImages, searchDatasets, searchProjects, searchScreens,
searchPlates, simpleSearch

The following delete methods are being replaced by deleteObjects():
deleteImage, deleteImages, deleteProject, deleteDataset, deleteScreen,
deletePlate, simpleDelete.

As always, any feedback and comments welcome!
Thanks,

    Will.

William Moore
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation & Expression
College of Life Sciences
MSI/WTB/JBC Complex
University of Dundee
Dow Street