[ome-devel] OMERO account question

Josh Moore josh at glencoesoftware.com
Thu Sep 30 20:07:16 BST 2010

On Sep 30, 2010, at 6:16 PM, Baek Hwan (BK) Cho wrote:
> Hi Josh,
>
> Is it possible to import those images that can be public to everyone?

Hi BK,

There are several ways to go about having images shared:

 * shares in OMERO.web
 * group with (almost) everyone a member
 * public groups

Could you explain just what you are attempting to do? How many images in the system? How it will be used and accessed by whom?

Each of the methods have different pros and cons. A public group ("rwrwrw") may well be what you are looking for, but for the 4.2 release, we did not throughly test public groups, only private and collaborative, and rolling back could be quite difficult.

Have you seen:

  https://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/omero4/server/permissions

which explains the various group permission settings?

> Or, can we create a session that can access all the images on the server? If
> yes, please tell me how with a sample code.

There's no way to access all the images on the server at one time. Groups were strongly partioned as part of #1434 (group permissions) to prevent improper interlinking. To load all the images, iterate through each of the groups:

groups = client.sf.getAdminService().lookupGroups()
query = client.sf.getQueryService()
for group in groups:
    print group.name.val,query.projection("select count(i.id) from Image i", None, {"omero.group":"%s" % group.id.val})[0][0].val
system 567
user 0
guest 0
demo-private-group 1
demo-read-only 4
demo-collaborative 12

Alternatively, you can change the session on the group in the for-loop:

for group in groups:
    previousGroup = client.sf.setSecurityContext(group)
    print adminService().getEventContext().groupId
0
1

> Best,
> BK