[ome-devel] Suggestion: check repository permissions at startup

Harri Jäälinoja harri.jaalinoja at helsinki.fi
Fri Oct 22 09:49:43 BST 2010

Hello,

I think the command "bin/omero admin start" should check if the
repository directory (/OMERO by default) is accessible. Despite clear
instructions, a user can still find a way to not make it available :)
The majority of error messages that follow as the install proceeds are
not helpful to locate the problem.

I started to install OMERO like this:
                                     user      group
/OMERO                              omerouser omerouser

Then as I am working in a virtual server, 'su' does not work (or I don't
have the real root access), and with 'sudo' I had problems with
environment variables, so I had to continue the install with my own
account name, and I chowned the install dir (inside the repository dir,
following the recently posted instructions for Centos ):

/OMERO/OMERO.server-Beta-4.2.0      hajaalin  users

At this point, I forgot to make also /OMERO belong to hajaalin:users.

The result was that the install failed, with complicated error messages
about problems creating beans, the webadmin complained about password
etc. On the positive side, somewhere in the diagnostics there was also
the question "did you create /OMERO?" or something similar.

Now I changed the owner of /OMERO, and the install went ok, webadmin is
up, all looks good so far!

Regards,
Harri