[ome-devel] ome-devel Digest, Vol 81, Issue 5

Alessandro Dellavedova alessandro.dellavedova at ifom-ieo-campus.it
Wed Dec 8 18:59:37 GMT 2010

Hi Curtis and Rubén,

On Dec 8, 2010, at 5:51 PM, Curtis Rueden wrote:

> Alessandro wrote:
> Does it make sense to add a level of redundancy like, for example, one in ten files has to carry the complete headers, in order to avoid the loss of metadata info if the master file got deleted/corrupted/abducted by aliens ?
>
> For large numbers of files, I think any mandated level of redundancy will still result in an undesirable increase in size.

Based on your experience how much increase in size we could expect from a "one in ten", or "one in hundred" files with metatada redundancy ? I think that some estimations would be of great help in order to better  understand what could be the impact of this implementation on the IT Departments and HCS Facilities operations.

Sorry if I ask this kind of obvious questions, but in Q1 2011 we will setup an HCS Facility here at our Campus and I'll be the person that has to deploy the IT infrastructure (storage/HPC) needed to run the Facility, OMERO will be playing a key role in this scenario, so I'm basically learning here in preparation of the deployment.

Thanks for your time and kind understanding,

Alessandro