[ome-devel] Question about rules configuration in Omero model

josh.moore at gmx.de josh.moore at gmx.de
Tue Sep 8 11:14:50 BST 2009

Alessandro Sulis writes:
 > Hi,

Hi Alessandro,

 > I have a question about the <rule> tag utilization inside an ome.xml
 > model. I have successfully developed some new .ome.xml models and I need
 > to specialize them by adding some properties constraints, using the rule
 > tag, like the waveRendering property inside the display.ome.xml model has:
 >
 >        <rule id="CHANNEL_BINDING_CARD" type="cardinality" description="c"/>
 >
 > and another example is:
 >
 >     <rule id="COLOR_RANGE" type="range" description="rule0_255 all
 > values between 0-255"/>
 >
 > I couldn't find where and how the rules must be defined; I suppose
 > that for each defined rule there is some code that explains what
 > the defined rule does.  Can someone give me any suggestions about
 > this?

Unfortunately, the rules don't work as you may think. At the moment,
they are entirely informative with no code backing whatsoever. The
original intent was to develop code generation based on the rules, but
as I mentioned when Gianluigi first asked about model generation[1],
we are moving away from these mapping files and soon all code will be
generated directly from the XSD (http://www.ome-xml.org).

Although the XSD-based code generation has not yet been completed,
I'll remove the <rules/> elements to prevent further confusion. Sorry
for being misleading. The only way to extend the code generation at
the moment is by directly modifying the "dsl" component.

~Josh.

[1] http://lists.openmicroscopy.org.uk/pipermail/ome-devel/2009-July/001332.html