[ome-devel] OMERO and SSL

Josh Moore josh at glencoesoftware.com
Wed Nov 25 12:14:32 GMT 2009

Woodbridge, Mark R writes:
 > Hi,

Hi Mark,

 > We're trying to get the OMERO.clients talking to the server over
 > SSL. I've configured the server according to the instructions and
 > have verified that it's working by running a simple Java test
 > program with the Ice.Default.Router and related properties set
 > accordingly. Tcpdump shows that passwords are no longer being sent
 > in plain text.
 >
 > I am now having a problem figuring out how to make the same config
 > change to importer, insight and web. It isn't obvious were to set
 > the connection properties, assuming it's possible. If anyone has
 > got this working then would be interested in discussing.

For the moment, you will need to set the ICE_CONFIG property in
whatever environment those applications are being called
from. I.e. there needs to be some configuration file (e.g. ssl.config)
with the properties from https://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/omero4/server/security

    Ice.Default.Router=OMERO.Glacier2/router:ssl -p 4064 -h localhost
    etc.

Warning: the Ice.Default.Router property overrides the server
selection from the client login dialog. This is very far from optimal,
and we hope to address these issues in 4.2.

 > Many thanks,
 > Mark.

Best wishes,
~Josh